Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do I reduce the probability of a socket timeout?
12-10-2012, 10:27 AM
RE: How do I reduce the probability of a socket timeout?
There are a couple of places we may see timeout errors - during a tcp connection attempt or after a period of inactivity on a connected socket.
  • Timeouts during tcp connect are relatively short - 3 seconds by default as you say. This can be adjusted using OhNetInitParamsSetTcpConnectTimeout.
  • Timeouts due to inactivity on connected sockets are determined by the host's network stack but will be relatively long - probably several minutes.
Errors on tcp send due to wifi dropping are possible but I don't think would be described as timeouts.

Given this, I'd guess that your colleague is suffering from failed connections (each action invocation will involve the control point making a tcp connection to the device stack). Increasing the value passed to OhNetInitParamsSetTcpConnectTimeout will help reduce the instances of this. As would improving the quality of his wireless network. inSSIDer (from http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/) can be useful in finding a clearer channel for a wifi network.

If that doesn't answer your question, can you give more info about how you're determining that errors are caused by socket timeouts please?
Find all posts by this user

Messages In This Thread
RE: How do I reduce the probability of a socket timeout? - simonc - 12-10-2012 10:27 AM