Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Create .pdb files for Windows release build
05-09-2012, 08:30 PM
Create .pdb files for Windows release build
It would be useful to have .pdb files for the Windows release build. This would make it possible to produce a thread dump with correct call stack location information.

To do this without increasing the size of the release .dll files, line 15 in ohNet.mak needs to be changed from:

link_flag_debug =

to:

link_flag_debug = /debug /opt:ref
Find all posts by this user
06-09-2012, 08:12 AM
RE: Create .pdb files for Windows release build
(05-09-2012 08:30 PM)simoncn Wrote:  It would be useful to have .pdb files for the Windows release build. This would make it possible to produce a thread dump with correct call stack location information.

Thanks, good idea, now committed. I've chosen a slightly different implementation to avoid creating (then releasing) tens of MBs of debug info for test code. Only ohNet.dll will generate a .pdb in release builds. I presume this is the only .pdb you really need?
06-09-2012, 08:16 AM
(06-09-2012 08:12 AM)simonc Wrote:  Thanks, good idea, now committed. I've chosen a slightly different implementation to avoid creating (then releasing) tens of MBs of debug info for test code. Only ohNet.dll will generate a .pdb in release builds. I presume this is the only .pdb you really need?

My apologies. I only tried this with make ohNetDll and make ohNetJni, so I didn't notice the side-effects on test code.

I'd like to have a .pdb for ohNetJni.dll as well, if that's OK.
06-09-2012, 08:27 AM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2012 08:28 AM by simonc.)
(06-09-2012 08:16 AM)simoncn Wrote:  I'd like to have a .pdb for ohNetJni.dll as well, if that's OK.

My previous comment was a bit imprecise. .PDBs are created for all dlls but not for exes; which means that ohNetJni.dll is already covered. (I'd forgotten we created this second unmanaged DLL...)

The change should be available on github in the next hour.