Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Getting Started
02-04-2013, 12:44 PM
Getting Started
This thread will hopefully act as an audit trail/tutorial to others who are getting started with helping the development.

I'm hoping that SimonC (and others) will come along and help me out by answering some questions. A few questions (as a real beginner) that I need to help get me started are:

Can you give a basic checklist of things that will help me to get started? I can Google all the info needed for each, if you can provide a Keyword for me. For example, I guess I'll need:
  • IDE (I'm developing on Windows or even better, in the cloud)
  • Architecture documentation (how it all fits together) if there is any?
  • Where are all the source code files located?
  • Can you recommend a suitable test setup? how do you test builds?

Once I have an IDE, I'll start to build what's there in the code and see how I get on.

How do people contribute... is there a shared task list/feature list/bug tracker of any of the software?

Thanks guys.
Find all posts by this user
02-04-2013, 02:55 PM
RE: Getting Started
(02-04-2013 12:44 PM)mattlindsay Wrote:  This thread will hopefully act as an audit trail/tutorial to others who are getting started with helping the development.

I'm hoping that SimonC (and others) will come along and help me out by answering some questions. A few questions (as a real beginner) that I need to help get me started are:

Can you give a basic checklist of things that will help me to get started? I can Google all the info needed for each, if you can provide a Keyword for me. For example, I guess I'll need:

See ohSongcast's README for an overview of what you'll need. In summary, this is
  • Visual Studio for Windows builds (the free Express 2012 edition is fine)
  • GCC for Linux builds (plus possibly cross compilers depending on build and target deployment architectures)
  • Python v2.7
  • Source code

(02-04-2013 12:44 PM)mattlindsay Wrote:  
    [quote='mattlindsay' pid='1815' dateline='1364906641']
  • IDE (I'm developing on Windows or even better, in the cloud)

Use Visual Studio for Windows builds. 2010 Pro or 2012 Express would be fine. Note that builds are typically run from the command line so you won't find .sln or .csproj files or be able to (easily) build within Visual Studio.

• Architecture documentation (how it all fits together) if there is any?

• We're pretty light on documentation. What we do have is linked from http://www.openhome.org/wiki/OhMedia

• Where are all the source code files located?

• Our github account links to all our open projects. ohSongcast and its upstream dependencies will probably be of most interest to you.

• Can you recommend a suitable test setup? how do you test builds?

• Availability of test code varies between repos. Best practice is to have a stand-alone unit test for each class or source file supplemented by integration tests which exercise more/all of the project. Frameworks and languages used vary between projects so its probably best to defer this topic until we have a specific change that would benefit from testing.

(02-04-2013 12:44 PM)mattlindsay Wrote:  Once I have an IDE, I'll start to build what's there in the code and see how I get on.

How do people contribute... is there a shared task list/feature list/bug tracker of any of the software?

We don't have a lot of external contributors so don't have an externally visible task list. Bugs can be posted using the Issues tab on a project's github page. Code changes can be submitted by either forking a repo (read up about this on github if the term isn't familiar) then submitting pull requests or creating a thread on these forums and attaching a patch. Where possible, fork + pull request is easier for us to work with.
    02-04-2013, 03:36 PM
    Great, many thanks Simon.

Just out of interest, as a little background to all this.... who is the 'We'? Is it an alliance of OpenHome members (are there some commercial companies involved?) Is it just Linn? How many people are we talking about?

Many thanks

Matt
    02-04-2013, 04:38 PM
    Hi mattlindsay,

OpenHome is an organisation for promoting open standards that assist interoperability between networked devices in the home. These standards are born from concrete commercial need and are therefore supported primarily by those companies that serve to benefit most by their specification, implementation, and promotion. Linn make a significant contribution of time and personnel to OpenHome. Others currently remain anonymous, but this may change in the future. Until then, it is largely Linn employees that operate and answer questions on this forum. OpenHome has no independent full-time personnel.

Graham