Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Support loopback adapter with external adapters
20-10-2014, 10:38 AM
RE: Support loopback adapter with external adapters
(20-10-2014 10:33 AM)simoncn Wrote:  Can you clarify why there is no loopback support on Linux PPC? Is this a limitation of Linux PPC or a limitation of ohNet? This issue will prevent the new release of MinimServer from running on Linux PPC because the new release depends on loopback support being available.

As far as I know, Linux has full loopback support. I don't believe this is a recent development - as far as I know your patch was required for Mac and was effectively optional for Windows and Linux.

With your full patch, TestDviDiscovery failed for us on Linux-PPC. I stubbed out setting of the IP_MULTICAST_IF sockopt and the test started passing again. This is stubbed out for all Linux builds.

I understand that you feel this change is required on Linux. I don't understand why though. Can you please explain exactly what functionality doesn't work on Linux using the latest code? Please explain in more detail than "loopback support". I have read your comments; I just don't understand them.
Find all posts by this user
20-10-2014, 11:00 AM
(20-10-2014 10:38 AM)simonc Wrote:  I understand that you feel this change is required on Linux. I don't understand why though. Can you please explain exactly what functionality doesn't work on Linux using the latest code? Please explain in more detail than "loopback support". I have read your comments; I just don't understand them.

You earlier post said:

There currently is no loopback support for Linux PPC.

You current post says:

As far as I know, Linux has full loopback support.

Taking these two statements together, it isn't clear to me whether ohNet running on Linux PPC supports the new SetIncludeLoopBackNetworkAdapter call that permits an ohNet device to be accessed from the loopback adapter and other adapters at the same time.

This functionality is required by the new release of MinimServer because it includes a local client that accesses the device using the loopback adapter at the same time that the device is being accessed by remote clients over other adapters.

If this functionality isn't working on Linux PPC for some reason, the new release of MinimServer won't run on Linux PPC. I don't currently have access to hardware that I can use to test this. From the tests you have run, there is evidence of an unexplained difference in this area between Linux PPC (which fails when the IP_MULTICAST_IF call is enabled) and other Linux platforms (which don't fail when the IP_MULTICAST_IF call is enabled). This unexplained difference with Linux PPC is the reason for my concern.
20-10-2014, 11:06 AM
(20-10-2014 11:00 AM)simoncn Wrote:  You earlier post said:

There currently is no loopback support for Linux PPC.

You current post says:

As far as I know, Linux has full loopback support.

Taking these two statements together, it isn't clear to me whether ohNet running on Linux PPC supports the new SetIncludeLoopBackNetworkAdapter call that permits an ohNet device to be accessed from the loopback adapter and other adapters at the same time.

I should have guessed it'd be me causing confusion.

My earlier statement was nonsense. Linux should have full loopback support. It doesn't try setting the IP_MULTICAST_IF sockopt but I also don't believe this is needed.

I think you should be fine to release a new version of Minim based on the current ohNet code.