Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
openhome-player segmentation fault
26-09-2016, 10:57 PM
openhome-player segmentation fault
I am trying to run openhome-player on a Raspberry Pi 3 with output to a USB DAC (configured as the default device in my .asoundrc file). I get the following output:

pi@rpi3:/sd1/ohplayer $ openhome-player
Using Subnet 192.168.0.0
Volume Control Unavailable
Segmentation fault

Using gdb, the backtrace is:

Program received signal SIGILL, Illegal instruction.
_armv7_tick () at armv4cpuid.S:17
17 armv4cpuid.S: No such file or directory.
(gdb) bt
#0 _armv7_tick () at armv4cpuid.S:17
#1 0x0001eaa4 in OPENSSL_cpuid_setup () at armcap.c:74
#2 0x002abf58 in __libc_csu_init ()
#3 0x75ca6228 in __libc_start_main (main=0x7efff784, argc=1977397248, argv=0x75ca6228 <__libc_start_main+168>,
init=0x2abf08 <__libc_csu_init>, fini=0x2abf6c <__libc_csu_fini>, rtld_fini=0x76fdf408 <_dl_fini>, stack_end=0x7efff784)
at libc-start.c:246
#4 0x0001eb2c in _start ()

The problem doesn't occur when using the built-in DAC. I can play files to the USB DAC using aplay. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
26-09-2016, 11:29 PM
RE: openhome-player segmentation fault
Hi Simon,

The player currently tries to locate the appropriate volume control from a list of pre-defined names ('Digital', 'Analogue' etc). It looks like it is not finding a volume control for your USB DAC, and is generating a segfault. We have been trying to find time to look at a more generic volume control selection where we enumerate all available controls and the user can select one as required. This has the downside that some users may not be aware of the correct volume control to use. We may be able to do something a bit lower level which associates only the volume control devices associated with the current audio output device, but we'll need to look into that a bit more.

I've raised a bug so that we can track it (http://apollo.openhomelabs.com/bugzilla/...cgi?id=12)
27-09-2016, 08:18 AM
(26-09-2016 11:29 PM)pedro Wrote:  Hi Simon,

The player currently tries to locate the appropriate volume control from a list of pre-defined names ('Digital', 'Analogue' etc). It looks like it is not finding a volume control for your USB DAC, and is generating a segfault. We have been trying to find time to look at a more generic volume control selection where we enumerate all available controls and the user can select one as required. This has the downside that some users may not be aware of the correct volume control to use. We may be able to do something a bit lower level which associates only the volume control devices associated with the current audio output device, but we'll need to look into that a bit more.

I've raised a bug so that we can track it (http://apollo.openhomelabs.com/bugzilla/...cgi?id=12)

Thanks for the quick reply.

Is the segmentation fault caused by the volume control issue? I have seen another post where the volume control unavailable message was shown but the segmentation fault did not occur. I would have expected that openhome-player should be able to continue without a volume control. In this case, the USB renderer has its own volume control, so this would not be a problem.
27-09-2016, 10:05 AM
I have found a workaround for this problem. I changed my ALSA configuration so that openhome-player would start, then I used Konfig to change the Volume.StartupEnabled setting from True to False. I then reverted to my desired ALSA configuration and the segmentation fault did not occur.
11-02-2018, 10:18 AM
(27-09-2016 10:05 AM)simoncn Wrote:  I have found a workaround for this problem. I changed my ALSA configuration so that openhome-player would start, then I used Konfig to change the Volume.StartupEnabled setting from True to False. I then reverted to my desired ALSA configuration and the segmentation fault did not occur.

I have exactly the same problem. I run the Oh player on an RPi (Jessie). With the endogenous soundcard, it works, but with the Hifiberry digi soundcard (which has no volume control), it does not work and I get the segmentation fault message. I changed the Volume.StartupEnabled setting with Konfig to False but it did not help.
I read a comment in the forum, that the Oh player only supports soundcards with volume control options. It would be great to change the Oh player in a way that it also accepts hardware without volume control.
Does someone has any hint to circumvent this problem?