Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Candidate PlaylistManager Service
27-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Candidate PlaylistManager Service
http://openhome.org/wiki/Av:Developer:Pl...gerService

Please feedback any thoughts on this proposed service.

David
Find all posts by this user
28-07-2011, 10:53 AM
RE: Candidate PlaylistManager Service
If a file is removed from the server, should it automatically be removed from any playlists?
28-07-2011, 12:57 PM (This post was last modified: 29-07-2011 10:41 AM by david.)
(28-07-2011 10:53 AM)spoon Wrote:  If a file is removed from the server, should it automatically be removed from any playlists?

How would someone remove a file from the server? The only way I can think of is through a database rebuild and I believe that Asset would not recreate the same URIs at which point all the playlists would be rendered useless... So I think for the initial implementation the case will never actually happen!

However in the future when a media server provides a guaranteed object id for any particular file contents then I would recommend that you leave the track in the playlist and when the PlaylistManager is asked for the metadata you can return some DidlLite that says something like 'Track not found'. If the track is put back the PlaylistManager will return the original DidlLite as expected.

David
01-08-2011, 01:05 PM
If you add a file onto a NAS share, it appears in the UPnP, the user can later remove the file, the UPnP server would remove the file from its listing.
03-08-2011, 02:07 PM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2011 02:08 PM by graham.)
Probably best to stick to the basic principal of not automatically altering the user's playlists. If they end up containing tracks that are no longer accessible then this can be indicated in the track's metadata. If the tracks subsequently reappear then no harm has been done.

Graham
07-08-2011, 05:44 PM
Is this service intended to be hosted on the server or on the renderer (or perhaps on either of these)?
08-08-2011, 03:49 PM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2011 04:05 PM by graham.)
(07-08-2011 05:44 PM)simoncn Wrote:  Is this service intended to be hosted on the server or on the renderer (or perhaps on either of these)?

It is envisaged that it would be hosted on a server. A media server developer might include it. Alternatively a standalone implementation might be run as a service on a PC or on a server. It could also make sense to have an implementation on a Renderer (as a facade over it's own playlist), or on a ControlPoint (as a last ditch attempt to provide the user with an implementation in the absence of any other), but these last two examples are more esoteric.

No implementations currently exist but we are developing one to test out the service's specification before ratifying it more formally. But if you are thinking of doing an implementation then my judgement is that it is pretty well on the money as it stands, so I would not expect too many disruptive changes to occur, although some minor ones cannot be ruled out.

Proxies and providers are already generated as part of ohNet.

Graham
17-08-2011, 04:21 PM
(27-07-2011 01:06 PM)david Wrote:  http://openhome.org/wiki/Av:Developer:Pl...gerService

Please feedback any thoughts on this proposed service.

David

I have made some alterations to the original proposal. Again please feedback any further thoughts on this proposed service.

David