Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Binary downloads
28-02-2012, 08:40 PM
RE: Binary downloads
Hello, are import libraries not part of your binaries? It only has dlls for windows and no import libraries. Do you know where I can get them? Thank you!
Find all posts by this user
29-02-2012, 09:52 AM
(28-02-2012 08:40 PM)hkvw36 Wrote:  Hello, are import libraries not part of your binaries? It only has dlls for windows and no import libraries. Do you know where I can get them? Thank you!

Thanks for spotting this. Import libraries should be included in the Windows binaries. We'll try to sort this out in the next couple of weeks.

In the meantime, you could generate your own dll/lib using the instructions in the "How do I get it" section at http://www.openhome.org/wiki/OhNet. (Don't worry, the instructions boil down to a single command to fetch the code then a single further one to build it!)
29-02-2012, 04:26 PM
(29-02-2012 09:52 AM)simonc Wrote:  
(28-02-2012 08:40 PM)hkvw36 Wrote:  Hello, are import libraries not part of your binaries? It only has dlls for windows and no import libraries. Do you know where I can get them? Thank you!

Thanks for spotting this. Import libraries should be included in the Windows binaries. We'll try to sort this out in the next couple of weeks.

In the meantime, you could generate your own dll/lib using the instructions in the "How do I get it" section at http://www.openhome.org/wiki/OhNet. (Don't worry, the instructions boil down to a single command to fetch the code then a single further one to build it!)

Thanks for responding! Are there instructions on how to build it on Windows? Do I need to run make under MinGW? Running make does not build it. The source code also doesn't include sln, or dsw for Visual Studio. Thanks again!
29-02-2012, 04:33 PM
(29-02-2012 04:26 PM)hkvw36 Wrote:  Thanks for responding! Are there instructions on how to build it on Windows? Do I need to run make under MinGW? Running make does not build it. The source code also doesn't include sln, or dsw for Visual Studio. Thanks again!

You can build from the command line on Windows if you have Visual Studio v10 installed. Go to

Start -> All Programs -> Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0 -> Visual Studio Tools -> Visual Studio Command Prompt

cd to your ohnet directory then type make -s. Your lib, dll, etc will be generated in the ohnet\Build\Obj\Windows\Debug directory.

It should be possible to build with later versions of Visual Studio (but I don't have any to test with). Earlier versions would need a small amount of work to cope with them lacking stdint.h
01-03-2012, 01:09 PM

This turned out to be easier to fix than I expected. v0.0.97 now includes import libraries in its Windows builds.
01-03-2012, 04:31 PM
Thanks Simon. I saw the import library for ohNet.dll version 0.0.97.
I am getting a linker error when instantiating CpDeviceListCppUpnpAll. Do you know what library I should use? Is that class not included in ohNet.dll?

Thanks!
01-03-2012, 04:58 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2012 06:47 PM by simonc.)
(01-03-2012 04:31 PM)hkvw36 Wrote:  Thanks Simon. I saw the import library for ohNet.dll version 0.0.97.
I am getting a linker error when instantiating CpDeviceListCppUpnpAll. Do you know what library I should use? Is that class not included in ohNet.dll?

Looking into this more, ohNet.dll doesn't contain the standard C++ APIs. Integration of these is instead left for clients. This leaves you with a couple of options:

You could switch to using our internal C++ APIs. These are all contained in ohNet.dll so you won't have to compile any ohNet code. Use CpDeviceListUpnpAll if you want to try this. You will however have to learn our buffer APIs which replace std::string. The learning curve for buffer is pretty steep and I know you're in a hurry to get something running so I don't recommend this.

Alternatively, you could build ohNet yourself and link in the necessary object files:
  • libohNetCore.lib
  • CpDeviceStd.obj
  • CpDeviceUpnpStd.obj

I know you had problems finding a suitable version of dbghelp.lib earlier. I can't easily explain this - MSDN suggests its a long-standing part of Windows. Rather than spending more time investigating this problem, I've added an option to disable stack trace generation. If you fetch the latest code, you can comment/undef STACK_TRACE_ENABLE in ohnet\Os\Windows\Os.c.

I suggest you try this second option for now. We'll also investigate other options for users of the standard C++ API to make things simpler in future.
02-03-2012, 12:58 PM
(01-03-2012 04:31 PM)hkvw36 Wrote:  Thanks Simon. I saw the import library for ohNet.dll version 0.0.97.

Thinking about this more, there's a much simpler answer. Use the released binaries and link against the static library - libohNetCore.lib.